Wednesday, July 12, 2006

So I've just arrived in Groningen, Netherlands after nearly 24 straight hours of plane/bus/train rides. When booking my flight out of Edinburgh, I thought at the time that it would be a good idea to simply find the cheapest destination - regardless of distance away from the Netherlands - and buy it. Frankfurt turned out to be the cheapest, but the thickness of my skull prevented me from checking the time of arrival in Germany. To make a long story short, I got into Germany at 11:15 last evening and have been jumping from bus to train to bus to train ever since. I suppose it wasn't the most logical thing I've ever done, however, it was an adventure nonetheless.

Prior to my arrival in the Netherlands, I was staying with friends in Edinburgh, Scotland. It just so happens that Ed and Max both study evolutionary biology (they're finishing up their PHD's) which is a subject that I remember opting out of all throughout college because of my difficulty with the sciences. Thus everytime I go and visit them I am reminded of how academically inept I am at the moment, but I suppose my "Masters of Education" is comparable????? Wishful thinking. Anyhow, I had a grand time visiting them, and Edinburgh remains my favorite city in Europe. Here are the ratings:

Aesthetic appeal: 10 - gorgeous mountains, unbelievable buildings, wonderful castle
Toilets: 10 - They keep a very clean apt. for the amt. of people living there
Friendliness: 10 - Everyone was very welcoming, despite my lack of footballing ability
Affordability: 4 - Scotland rocked the wallet
Transportation: 8 - Edinburgh isn't terribly big and the bus system is pretty comprehensive
Food: 8 - a variety of good restaurants
Nice Cafes: 5 - Too many Starbucks (even though I still went)
Fun Stuff To Do: 10 - Football, hiking, castle, shopping...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home